Retrospective:

Personally I feel like writing got harder for me and I don’t know why, but I don’t see that as a bad thing, I see it as a new way for me to get better. Something I’ve noticed is that I feel this pressure to make my writing sound better and that may be because I’m in a new environment. However, I have gotten better at writing narratives and personally I felt that was my best essay all year. Only because I’ve had trouble writing narratives in the past and my grade improved compared to narratives I wrote in high school. I’ve also learned that to write a good essay takes time. Although I never waited last minute to finish my essays, I realized how much earlier I should’ve started my writing. With more time come more expansion and revision to your essay, giving you the ability to make it as best as you can. What was most helpful for me was the outline to follow off of when doing a research paper. I also understood the importance of an outline, which makes your essay much easier. You also have the ability to add onto your outline which I didn’t know before and that’s beneficial to helping transfer your final thoughts in the actual essay. Throughout this writing course I realized how important writing is, you shouldn’t take your own writing for granted and actually take the time to slowly develop your writing into the way you want it to be. Remember “you can’t rush art”. I learned the importance of not writing the way I think the professor wants me to write, but the way I think it’s best to execute the purpose of the essay I’m writing. I’ve realized how difficult it is to transfer out of structured writing into writing that gives you more freedom. My opinion actually matters and the professors actually want to hear what you have to say and unlike high school. The biggest challenged of this year was writing a thesis for any essay, I realized how much more thought goes into not only a thesis but an introduction and conclusion. I feel as a writer I’ve grown and my skills as a writer have matured. I can now apply the skills I learned in this class to any of my other class throughout the rest of my college career.